Friday 9 March 2012

What is CONCRETE?

We have been living, working, studying in concrete building especially in urban areas. But here is a question appearing in our mind, actually, WHAT IS CONCRETE?


First and foremost, we would like to share a video to give a brief introduction about concrete:




Brief introduction about concrete: 


Generally, concrete, as the main materials that made up a building, it has been playing an important role in building construction since the Roman Empire. For information, during the Roman Empire, Roman concrete (or opus caementicium) was made from quicklime, pozzolana and an aggregate of pumice. However by now, concrete is primarily composed of



- Aggregate (coarse gravel or crushed rocks along with a fine aggregate)

 +

Figure 1: Coarse aggregate    +    Fine aggregate


- Cement (Portland cement which serves as a binder for aggregate)
- Water(for the process of hydration)


What are the uses of CONCRETE?

Concrete is widely used for making architectural structures, foundations, brick or block walls, pavements, bridges or overpasses, motorways or roads, runways, parking structures, dams, pools or reservoirs, pipes, footings for gates, fences and poles and even boats.

We will tell more stories about concrete for the upcoming posts, please stay tune. :)

11 comments:

  1. wow!!! fantastic... gorgeous... excellent...

    ReplyDelete
  2. finally i know what is concrete and the usage of concrete...Through this blog I've realized that without concrete, humans will not have shelters nor any buildings!!! CONCRETE IS IMPORTANT NOW THAT I HAVE KNOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 it so much :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. thx for sharing , i learnt something useful through this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My very first impression of this blog is simple and clean. The banner on top looks so classic and it makes me feel comfortable.

    En.......so let get into topic. The first thing I would to say is the information here is helpful and easy to be understood. By the way, I'm not the people who interests about this topic but I would like to spend my time to read this post. It means that this post is simple and interesting that could be able to arouse people to read on it.

    I like the way you guys present this topic. Keep it =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My very first impression of this blog is simple and clean. The banner on top looks so classic and it makes me feel comfortable.

    En.......so let get into topic. The first thing I would like to say is the information here is helpful and easy to be understood. By the way, I'm not the people who interests about this topic but I would like to spend my time to read this post. It means that this post is simple and interesting that could be able to arouse people interests to read on it.

    I like the way you guys present this topic. Keep it =)

    ReplyDelete